- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 to 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups mashed potato flakes
- 1-1/2 cups boiling water
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a large saucepan, cook the beef, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until heated through.
- Place potato flakes in a large bowl. Stir in boiling water; add eggs. Add flour and salt all at once. Divide into quarters; turn each out on a floured surface. Roll into 3/4-in. thick ropes; cut into 3/4-in. pieces.
- In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil. Cook gnocchi, in batches, for 30-60 seconds or until gnocchi float. Remove with a slotted spoon. Place in a large bowl; top with sauce. Gently stir to coat. Sprinkle cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forGnocchi with Meat Sauce
"Really easy to make and has good flavor."
"This recipe makes a beautiful sauce for gnocchi. I doubled the meat and used 2/3 cans of tomato and it was a thicker sauce but very flavoursome and delicious! Very impressed thank you!!"
"When our son says what smells so good, I usually have a hit! Made 'as is' with a little more seasoning for us and yes, it was a big hit! It may seem like too much sauce to start with, but for us it was perfect for gnocchi which are little sauce stealers! I will add this to my recipe file, for sure!"