Chicken Stew with Gnocchi
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 6-1/2 hours
Makes8 servings (3 quarts)
- 3 medium parsnips, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 large carrots, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 3 pounds bone-in chicken thighs, skin removed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 package (16 ounces) potato gnocchi
- Hot pepper sauce and thinly sliced green onions, optional
- Place the parsnips, carrots, celery, sweet potato and onions in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Top with chicken; sprinkle with the sage, salt and pepper. Add broth and water. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken; when cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones and discard bones. Cut meat into bite-size pieces and return to the slow cooker.
- Mix cornstarch and cold water until smooth; stir into stew. Add gnocchi. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes or until thickened. If desired, season with hot pepper sauce, and sprinkle with sliced green onion.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 405 calories, 11g fat (3g saturated fat), 92mg cholesterol, 922mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 5g fiber), 29g protein.
Nov 18, 2019
This is a delicious stew, my husband and I couldn't get enough. The parsnips added a unique flavor. I will definitely make this again.
Jan 27, 2019
I’m sorry to say I just didn’t like it...not to my taste preferences I guess. Looked beautiful, though.
Feb 12, 2018
Super excellent! The only changes I made were leaving out the parsnips and olives since the husband unit doesn't care for them. Nothing finer than a meal-in-one-crock!
Oct 6, 2010
Will for sure add this to my recipe book! I did make it in a dutch oven (which cooks faster..my mother told me this, and believe me it does). Also I used yams instead of sweet pots and they get soft quicker so you have to be careful. Also I did not have any parsnips but used extra yams since I love them. The soup is delicious!!!!
Sep 28, 2010
hot, hearty and healthy. ate this while watching "the big game". didn't miss the chili!! also a great palette to different variations.
May 19, 2010
I'm going to try to adapt this to my new pressure cooker - I don't like to leave appliances untended.
Mar 20, 2010
delicious and healthy, my family ate this up and asked for more!
Mar 2, 2010
Wonderful recipe! I am making it a again for a second time and can't wait!
Sep 24, 2008
As with most recipes I try on this site I had to modify to accomodate for ingredients I did have vs. what I didn't have. Cut up regular potatoes in place of the gnocci...used baby carrots and pearl onions, no celery. Very simple, easy meal that the entire family enjoyed.