Creamy Chicken Gnocchi Soup
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 15 min.
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/3 cup butter, divided
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium chicken bouillon granules
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1 package (16 ounces) potato gnocchi
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh spinach
- In a Dutch oven, brown chicken in 2 tablespoons butter. Remove and keep warm. In the same pan, saute the onion, carrot, celery and garlic in remaining butter until tender.
- Whisk in flour until blended; gradually stir in the milk, cream, bouillon and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Add the gnocchi and spinach; cook until spinach is wilted, 3-4 minutes. Add the chicken. Cover and simmer until heated through (do not boil), about 10 minutes.
Editor's NoteLook for potato gnocchi in the pasta or frozen foods section.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 482 calories, 28g fat (17g saturated fat), 125mg cholesterol, 527mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 2g fiber), 21g protein.
Mar 20, 2020
I made this following the recipe exactly, except substituted 1 bullion cube instead of granules as that's all I had on hand. It was absolutely delicious! I had a friend over who is an Olive Garden lover and told her it was a substitute recipe from their restaurant menu and she said it was even better than theirs! Even after the second leftover day having it for lunch, it still retained it's flavor and consistency. Definitely a keeper recipe!
Feb 21, 2020
Excellent! So delicious, hearty and comforting on a cold winter evening. My hard-working husband gave it two thumbs up and had three bowls! I made it as written, except, since I didn't have any chicken bouillon on hand, I added some seasoning salt to amp up the flavor. I will definitely be making this again!
Feb 21, 2020
Some people have mentioned the gnocchi getting "pasty". A friend at church made a big pot of Chicken Soup and brought the cooked rice with her in another bowl. Maybe if you cooked it and put the gnocchi in plastic container or bag you would be able to enjoy the soup longer. Just an idea to share and one I will do when I make this again. :)
Jan 25, 2020
I loved it. I used half and half instead of cream. And added chopped mushrooms.
Jan 22, 2020
I didn’t change a thing. We all loved this creamy, delicious soup. I served Taste of Home Flavored Oyster Crackers with it. Yum!
Jan 21, 2020
Pinch of thyme, parsley
Jan 17, 2020
Very good soup. Made for dinner today. I used 1% milk since that is what we use and I didn’t have chicken granules so I used bouillon. I also added nutmeg and thyme. Very rich but very good.
Oct 9, 2019
I made the recipe and instead of the 3 1/2 cups of milk I replaced it with 32 ounce carton of chicken broth and 1 tablespoon of chicken better than bouillon ,plus I grated about 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg in it.
Sep 11, 2019
Absolutely delicious! I followed others' suggestion to increase the bouillon and I used 3 tsp. of Better Than Bouillon. I also substituted the chicken breast from a rotisserie chicken for the uncooked chicken breast listed in the recipe. I will definitely be making this again!
Mar 29, 2019
Had a similar soup at Olive Garden so I was excited to try this recipe. It's so good. My family loves it. Let my coworkers try it and they agreed it's an amazing tasting soup.