Creamy Chicken Gnocchi Soup
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 15 min.
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/3 cup butter, divided
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium chicken bouillon granules
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1 package (16 ounces) potato gnocchi
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh spinach
- In a Dutch oven, brown chicken in 2 tablespoons butter. Remove and keep warm. In the same pan, saute the onion, carrot, celery and garlic in remaining butter until tender.
- Whisk in flour until blended; gradually stir in the milk, cream, bouillon and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Add the gnocchi and spinach; cook for 3-4 minutes or until spinach is wilted. Add the chicken. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until heated through (do not boil).
Editor's NoteLook for potato gnocchi in the pasta or frozen foods section.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 482 calories, 28g fat (17g saturated fat), 125mg cholesterol, 527mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 2g fiber), 21g protein.
Oct 13, 2017
Always a family favorite!
Jan 2, 2017
I really wanted to love this recipe as it but it was kind of bland. We will make this again but will do some changes to the seasonings to see if we can ring some more flavor out of it.
Jan 1, 2017
After making this soup, honestly...it tasted rich but bland. I added about 2-3 tsp. of Better than Boullion chicken flavor and it was amazing! Also, try adding some niceAsiago cheese on top and it makes it SO good!!
Nov 16, 2016
Very good recipe. I lightened it up by using fat free half & half & skim milk.
Oct 15, 2016
ok on the first day, gnocchi got really pasty when reheated
Feb 27, 2016
My husband and I really liked this. Because there are just two of us I will be cutting the recipe in half next time.
Jan 19, 2016
My family really enjoyed this and asked to add it to 'favorites'. I used homemade gnocchi.
Sep 2, 2015
What a wonderful soup. It's just like the chicken gnocchi soup at the Olive Garden. I used all milk instead of the heavy cream, and 1% milk, since that is what I have in the house. I couldn't tell that it was missing the cream. I also used an extra carrot and more spinach. Easy to make and will keep making it for a long time.
Feb 12, 2015
I want to make this, butt what is potato gnocchi and where do I find it?
Jan 28, 2015
This was so easy and very delicious--I added another cup of milk to make more broth and it was still delivious. Definitely a keeper
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.