Gingerbread-Spiced Pumpkin Pie
The first time I made this was for Christmas a couple of years ago. The following year, I received a gift with all the ingredients for the pie in it and a note asking me to make it again as soon as possible. Make extra pastry if you want to decorate the top.—Rod Dombek, Mazeppa, Minnesota
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 45 min.
- Pastry for single-crust pie
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 cups canned pumpkin
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup dark molasses
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- Additional pastry for single-crust pie, optional
- Whipped cream, optional
- Preheat oven to 425°. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim crust to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate; flute edge. Refrigerate while preparing filling.
- In a large bowl, whisk filling ingredients. Pour into crust. Bake on a lower oven rack 15 minutes.
- Reduce oven setting to 350°; bake until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, 30-35 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack; serve within 2 hours. Refrigerate leftovers.
- If decorative cutouts are desired, roll additional dough to 1/8-in. thickness; cut out with 1-in. to 1-1/2-in. leaf-shaped cookie cutters. With a sharp knife, score leaf veins on cutouts.
- Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 400° until golden brown, 6-8 minutes. Remove to a wire rack to cool. Arrange leaves around edge of pie. If desired, garnish with whipped cream.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 341 calories, 15g fat (9g saturated fat), 87mg cholesterol, 356mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.