Pumpkin Whoopie Pies
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1-1/2 cups canned pumpkin
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Dash salt
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 400°. Cream shortening and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. In another bowl, whisk the next 6 ingredients; beat into creamed mixture alternately with pumpkin.
- Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets; flatten slightly with the back of a spoon. Bake 10-11 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- For filling, combine flour and salt in a small saucepan. Gradually whisk in milk until smooth; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium; cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes. Refrigerate, covered, until completely cooled.
- In another bowl, beat shortening, confectioners' sugar and vanilla until smooth. Add chilled milk mixture; beat until light and fluffy, about 7 minutes. Spread on the bottoms of half of the cookies; cover with remaining cookies. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich cookie: 344 calories, 17g fat (4g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 284mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nov 7, 2019
Can I freeze these and do the filling later?
Oct 9, 2019
First time making them Twerked to add my touch. So, so good!
Aug 14, 2019
Oct 24, 2018
debstub-I not only agree with you I like your suggestion thanks for writing out the cream cheese filling, I’d have not used the one printed here either, easy enuf to come up with a simple version of cream cheese frosting off the top of a head, been doing it long enough
Mar 11, 2018
This is one of my grandson's favorite cookies. He loves whoopie pie in various flavors and this is one of his favorites.
Nov 26, 2017
My friend and I were confused about this recipe. In the prep part it says "Prep: 30 min. chilling". What does this mean? Do you chill the batter after mixing ingredients? If so, how long?
Aug 23, 2017
I have been making these for years. I prefer a cream cheese filling. Cream cheese and pumpkin, yum!
Oct 17, 2016
One of the problems with submitting a recipe is that when you tweak it, it's already gone. I guess we count on TasteofHome to test it and decide what's worth publishing. Canned pumpkin gives more flavor than cooked fresh pumpkin. I no longer use the filling printed and wish they would edit it out and replace it with this cream cheese one or another similar one. Beat together 1/2 c soft butter, 8 oz softened cream cheese. Add 2 c sifted confectioners sugar, 3.5 oz marshmallow cream, 1 tsp vanilla, 1/2 tsp cinnamon. Hope this helps.
Sep 29, 2016
Im from Carlisle and still have lots of family living in Carlisle and surrounding areas but Iv lived in Cleveland Ohio most of my life. My familys favorite cookie is Whoopie Pies so I will be trying your recipe!!!!
Nov 9, 2015
These are great as written..had no problems and didnt flatten them. They turned out just fine. Second time i made them i added some maple syrup and maple flavoring and got rave reviews....