Chocolate Chip Red Velvet Whoopie Pies
Baking a fun treat is a must when my four grandchildren come for “Grandma Camp.” This year I’ll recruit the oldest, Henry, to help pipe the cake batter. —Linda Schend, Kenosha, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 2 dozen
- 1 package red velvet cake mix (regular size)
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup (6 ounces) miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine cake mix, eggs, oil and extract; beat on low speed 30 seconds. Beat on medium 2 minutes.
- Cut a 1/2-in. hole in the tip of a pastry bag or in a corner of a food-safe plastic bag. Transfer dough to bag. Pipe 1-1/2x1-in. hearts onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets, spacing hearts 1 in. apart.
- Bake until edges are set, 6-8 minutes. Cool on pans 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- For filling, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until blended. Gradually beat in confectioners’ sugar until smooth. Stir in chocolate chips. Spread filling on bottoms of half of the cookies. Top with remaining cookies. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 whoopie pie: 267 calories, 16g fat (6g saturated fat), 44mg cholesterol, 194mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Fudge-Filled Red Velvet Whoopie Pies in Taste of Home February/March 2015
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.