Chocolate Chip Red Velvet Whoopie Pies
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 2 dozen
- 1 package red velvet cake mix (regular size)
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine cake mix, eggs, oil and extract; beat on low speed 30 seconds. Beat on medium 2 minutes.
- Cut a 1/2-in. hole in the tip of a pastry bag or in a corner of a food-safe plastic bag. Transfer dough to bag. Pipe 1-1/2x1-in. hearts onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets, spacing hearts 1 in. apart.
- Bake until edges are set, 6-8 minutes. Cool on pans 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- For filling, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until blended. Gradually beat in confectioners’ sugar until smooth. Stir in chocolate chips. Spread filling on bottoms of half of the cookies. Top with remaining cookies. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 whoopie pie: 267 calories, 16g fat (6g saturated fat), 44mg cholesterol, 194mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jun 4, 2019
I left out the chocolate chips and just made round regular cookies. They were quick and easy. Perfect for any BBQ!
Feb 14, 2017
Yummy! Best if chilled before eating.