Lemon Blueberry Whoopie Pies
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cups plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line baking sheets with silicone baking mats or parchment.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk 1-1/4 cups flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. In another bowl, toss blueberries and lemon zest with remaining flour; gently fold into dough.
- Drop dough by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto prepared baking sheets. Bake until edges just begin to brown, 10-12 minutes. Cool on pans 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- For filling, in a large bowl, beat butter and cream cheese until blended. Beat in honey, lemon zest and vanilla. Gradually beat in confectioners’ sugar until smooth. Spread on bottoms of half of the cookies; cover with remaining cookies. Refrigerate in an airtight container.
- Freeze option: Freeze cookies in freezer containers (do not stack). To use, thaw before serving.
Test Kitchen tips
Editor's NoteIf using frozen blueberries, use without thawing to avoid discoloring the batter.
Nutrition Facts1 whoopie pie: 281 calories, 14g fat (8g saturated fat), 51mg cholesterol, 218mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
May 7, 2019
These were a big hit at a gathering of friends. I particularly like the flavor of blueberries and lemon zest together. I made them the night before, refrigerated them until I took them to our gathering the next day.