Giant Green Salad
"I tried this refreshing salad at a friend's house and couldn't wait to have the recipe," says Rebecca Cook Jones, a field editor from Henderson, Nevada. "it makes a beautiful presentation for winter holidays, too."
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups walnut halves
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 bunches romaine, torn
- 16 cups torn leaf lettuce
- 6 cups dried cranberries
- 4 medium sweet yellow peppers, diced
- 4 cups (16 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- Coarsely ground pepper, optional
- 4 envelopes Italian salad dressing mix
- 2 cups canola oil
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3/4 cup water
- In a large heavy skillet, melt the butter. Add walnuts; cook over medium heat until toasted, about 4 minutes. Sprinkle with sugar; cook and stir for 2-4 minutes or until sugar is melted. Spread on foil to cool.
- Meanwhile, in several large salad bowls, combine the romaine, lettuce, cranberries, yellow peppers, cheese and pepper if desired. In a large bowl, whisk the dressing ingredients. Pour over salad and toss to coat. Sprinkle with sugared walnuts.
Originally published as Perfect Potluck Green Salad in Taste of Home June/July 2005
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.