Fontina-Fruit Chicken Breasts
This is one of my favorite chicken dishes, festive enough for a special occasion but not loaded with fat and sugar. -Lily Julow, Lawrenceville, Georgia
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + marinating Grill: 10 min.
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 8 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1 large tart apple, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/2 cup shredded fontina cheese
- 1/2 cup dried cherries, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the first six ingredients. Carefully cut a pocket in each chicken breast half; place in bag. Seal and turn to coat; refrigerate for 1 hour.
- In a small nonstick skillet, saute apple in butter until tender. Transfer to a small bowl. Stir in the cheese, cherries, salt and pepper. Drain chicken, discarding marinade; stuff with apple mixture. Secure with soaked toothpicks.
- Moisten a paper towel with cooking oil; using long-handled tongs, lightly coat the grill rack. Grill chicken, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 5-8 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 170°. Discard toothpicks.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 247 calories, 11g fat (3g saturated fat), 72mg cholesterol, 274mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 1g fiber), 25g protein.
Originally published as Grilled Apple-Stuffed Chicken with Fontina and Cherries in Light & Tasty August/September 2007
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.