Sicilian Meat Roll
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 1-1/4 hours
- 3/4 cup soft bread crumbs
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup tomato juice
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 8 thin slices fully cooked ham
- 1-1/2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 3 thin slices part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large bowl, combine the bread crumbs, eggs, tomato juice, parsley, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper. Crumble beef over the mixture and mix well.
- On a pieces of heavy-duty foil, pat meat mixture into a 12x10-in. rectangle. Place the ham and shredded cheese on loaf to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up, jelly-roll style, beginning with the short end and peeling foil away while rolling.
- Place on a greased baking pan with seam side down; seal ends. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until meat is no longer pink and a thermometer reaches 160°. Top with sliced cheese; bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 375 calories, 23g fat (11g saturated fat), 163mg cholesterol, 580mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 0 fiber), 36g protein.
Jun 28, 2020
This is the only meatloaf my Mother ever made. I was the only kid in my class who liked meatloaf night. She topped it with tomato sauce and after it cooked for an hour she added half slices of bacon on top of the mozzarella and let it continue cooking while it crisped up. I believe she got the recipe from a magazine in the 60s.
Oct 9, 2018
This is really a terrific recipe and my son can't get enough of it.
Dec 25, 2014
You say, "Originally published as Sicilian Meat Roll in Reminisce January/February 1998, p49". However, this recipe is also in a hard covered book on Beef that was probably published before 1998. Unfortunately, I'm being a snowbird in Florida at the moment, and the book is back home in Canada. If I think of it, I'll revisit this site when I get home and update the information.It is a fabulous recipe and can be made ahead and frozen. Contains no onions which was appreciated by my friend who is allergic to them. I made this up for her when her husband passed unexpectedly a few years ago. Her house was crowded with relatives and she was so happy to get this meatloaf that fed the crowd.
Jan 13, 2011
Awesome, awesome, awesome!! Had this recipe in my collection for years..favorite with friends and family!
Dec 31, 2010