- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened pineapple chunks
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 8 cups chopped tart apples
- 2 cups green grapes
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- Drain pineapple, reserving juice; set the pineapple aside. Place juice in a saucepan; add butter, sugar and lemon juice. Bring to a boil. Combine the cornstarch and cold water until smooth; add to the saucepan, stirring constantly. Return to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Chill. Stir in mayonnaise. In a large bowl, combine pineapple, apples, grapes, poppy seeds and cooked dressing. Fold in the pecans just before serving. Yield: 14 servings.
Reviews forFavorite Apple Salad
"I made this to take to a potluck supper and it was very popular. The recipe does make a lot so will serve a big crowd. I omitted the nuts due to my own nut allergy, plus you don't know who else may also have such an allergy at this type of gathering. Instead I substituted raisins. Delicious! I will make this again!"
"YES< I cant wait to make this for family gatherings and potlucks. Its delicious, fast and easy to put together. I split the recipe tonight just to "try" it. Now I am excited with a new recipe in my arsenal of great take alongs!"
"This is my go to recipe when bringing a dish to a potluck. My family loves it and asks for it a lot!"
"This is a wonderful recipe. Everytime i make it and serve it at gatherings I get many compliments.Lavalle"