Double-Berry Quick Bread
Healthy, fast and easy! This bread is a favorite of mine when prep time is tight and I have small amounts of different kinds of berries to use up. — Jennifer Coduto, Kent, Ohio
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
Makes1 loaf (12 slices)
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- 1 cup fresh blackberries
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large bowl, whisk the first six ingredients. In another bowl, whisk egg whites, egg, milk, sour cream, applesauce, oil and vanilla until blended. Add to flour mixture; stir just until moistened. Gently fold in berries.
- Transfer batter to a 9x5-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Bake 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 188 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 201mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
Originally published as Double Berry Quick Bread in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes 2016