Blueberry Quick Bread with Vanilla Sauce
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
Makes8 servings (2 cups sauce)
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- VANILLA SAUCE:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, beat the egg, milk and oil. Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; gradually add to egg mixture, beating just until combined. Fold in blueberries.
- Pour into a greased 9x5-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For sauce, combine sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan. Stir in cream until smooth; add butter. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in vanilla. Serve with blueberry bread.
Freeze option: Securely wrap and freeze cooled loaf in plastic and foil. To use, thaw at room temperature. Prepare sauce as directed and serve with bread.
Editor's NoteIf using frozen blueberries, use without thawing to avoid discoloring the batter.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 608 calories, 30g fat (15g saturated fat), 102mg cholesterol, 424mg sodium, 82g carbohydrate (55g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 30, 2019
True, there can be a problem with remaining raw in the middle. This can be fixed by using a square 8x8 pan, same temperature and same bake time. Delicious easy recipe.
Mar 10, 2019
I followed this EXACTLY and it was completely raw in the middle.
Oct 14, 2012
Amazing recipe. I did add 1 1/2 tsp lemon extract simple because I love blueberries and lemon. I made it into muffins. It's great. Taste just like the Blueberry Bread you can get from the store. Will make this again.
Jul 27, 2012
Tastes very much ike a blueberry muffin! This would make a great muffin recipe also! I really like the amount of blueberries in it; it really adds a lot of flavor! I did reduce the sugar to 3/4 cup and it was still delicious. I didn't make the sauce, but next time I might. Only problem I had with this recipe was that the very center didn't cook all the way, but the outside did. Still a tasty bread though, and very simple to make! :)
Sep 24, 2011
I would definitely make this again. It is so full of berries and very moist. This is a winner. I didn't make the sauce because I felt it didn't need it.
Jun 27, 2010
Very nice bread! I liked the light texture, and the blueberries distributed well throughout the batter. I made the sauce, but didn't really care for it. Too sweet, too thin for my preference. This bread is tasty plain or with a little butter.I might suggest to collich11 that she try the recipe one more time, adding a teaspoon of lemon extract (not lemon juice) and a teaspoon of grated lemon rind. I've made this bread both ways and received compliments on both.
Mar 11, 2010
I thought it tasted very bland.
Aug 21, 2008
There's just one word to describe this treat: EXCELLENT!!Joscey from Oxford, NY
Aug 3, 2008