Triple-Chocolate Quick Bread
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 1-1/2 cups miniature semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 to 3 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- Ina microwave-safe bowl, melt 1 cup chocolate chips; set aside to cool. In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and cooled chocolate; mix well. Add applesauce and vanilla; set aside. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in the remaining chocolate chips.
- Spoon into four greased 5-3/4x3x2-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing to wire racks.
- For glaze, melt chocolate chips and butter in a small heavy saucepan; stir in cream. Remove from the heat; stir in confectioners' sugar, vanilla and salt. Drizzle over warm breads. Cool completely.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 243 calories, 11g fat (7g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 273mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Oct 26, 2013
I added all of the chips to the batter and skipped the glaze. I also added an extra 1/4 cup butter. The bread came out great! These would also make great muffins!
Nov 5, 2012
Just made these and they are pretty good. Didn't get to make the frosting, didn't have powdered sugar, and my daughter (helper) fell asleep before they got done baking. I will say they do need some kind of frosting or something. They are just slightly on the dry side. Maybe cause I did a muffins instead of loaves. I reduced the baking time. Anywho, I'll make them again, but with frosting or eat with a glass of milk.
Oct 5, 2012
I made these as muffins like a previous reviewer did. They were very tasty, but I do agree they were a tad dry. Would definitely add more chocolate chips into the batter tho, as all I had was regular ones.
Oct 23, 2011
I've made this for church activities and always get requests on the recipe.
Mar 4, 2011
My family loves this recipe. I double the recipe and freeze the extra loafs to eat later in the week.
Nov 4, 2010
The taste was ok, but this turned out drier than I like. Maybe a couple tablespoons of oil would help?
Sep 1, 2010
I thought so at first, too, until I read the directions. Some of the chocolate chips are melted, cooled and stirred in with the eggs, the rest are added at the end.
Sep 1, 2010
"Triple Chocolate" would indicate 3 chocolates, but I only see 2. One in the bread and one in the glaze. Am I missing something?
Jun 16, 2010
I made this as a full-sized loaf, which took about 10 more minutes of baking time. It has great flavor. My only complaint would be that it is not quite as moist as I would like (probably because it uses applesauce instead of oil?).
Apr 27, 2010
This bread is excellent. I omitted the glaze; it was delicious without it. For dessert or for gifts, the glaze would make it more special, though.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.