Quick Bread Mix
Looking for a speedy breakfast or take-along treat for the office? "This mix is so convenient to have on hand to bake a batch of moist tropical muffins or a loaf of nutty banana bread," informs Doris Barb of El Dorado, Kansas.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min.
Makes1 loaf (16 slices each)
- 10 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup baking powder
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 cups shortening
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS FOR MUFFINS:
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1 large egg
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS FOR BREAD)
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup mashed ripe banana (about 1 banana)
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients. Cut in shortening until crumbly. Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place or in the freezer for up to 6 months. Yield: about 7 batches of muffins and about 5 batches of bread (13 cups total).
- To prepare muffins: Contents of mix may settle during storage. When preparing recipe, spoon mix into measuring cup. In a bowl, combine 1-3/4 cups quick bread mix, sugar and orange zest. In a small bowl, combine the egg, pineapple and milk; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 400° for 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Yield: 8 muffins.
- To prepare bread: Contents of mix may settle during storage. When preparing recipe, spoon mix into measuring cup. In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in banana. Stir in 2-1/4 cups quick bread mix and pecans just until moistened.
- Pour into a greased 9x5-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 65-70 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to wire rack to cool completely.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 203 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 253mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Jun 6, 2012
I took this recipe and added fresh apricots and also tried it with fresh chopped apples and was wonderful moist little nuts cinnimon for apples , orange zest for apricots will make again great for breakfast or ladies brunches