DIY Salad in a Jar
Our farm-fresh salad is layered with gorgeous garden veggies. And we built in a homemade dressing flavored with fresh herbs. Just shake it up to eat the rainbow. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 10 min.
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 to 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large carrot, shaved
- 6 radishes, sliced
- 1 fresh beet, cut into matchsticks
- 2 grilled chicken breasts, sliced
- 1 large zucchini, shaved
- 1 large yellow summer squash, shaved
- 1-1/2 cups haricots verts (French green beans), blanched and halved
- 2 cups torn Bibb lettuce
- 1 cup torn red leaf lettuce
- 1 cup frisee salad greens
- To make the dressing, whisk the first nine ingredients in a small bowl. In each of four 1-qt. wide-mouth canning jars, divide and layer ingredients in the following order: dressing, carrots, radishes, beets, chicken, zucchini, squash, green beans, and lettuce greens. Cover and refrigerate until serving. Transfer salads into bowls; toss to combine.
Nutrition Facts1 salad: 265 calories, 16g fat (3g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 294mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 4g fiber), 17g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 fat, 2 lean meat, 2 vegetable.
Originally published as DIY Salad in a Jar in Make & Take Cookbook Bookazine 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.