- 1-1/2 cups crushed vanilla wafers (about 40 wafers)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) strawberry gelatin
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen sweetened sliced strawberries, thawed
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 carton (12 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- In a bowl, combine the wafer crumbs, sugars and butter; press into an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. dish. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, in a bowl, dissolve gelatin in boiling water. Stir in strawberries and milk. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until partially set.
- Fold whipped topping into strawberry mixture. Spread over prepared crust. Refrigerate for 2 hours or until set. Cut into squares. Yield: 15 servings.
Reviews forCreamy Strawberry Dessert
"I followed the recipe exactly. It never did set up. It was a runny mess. I used unsweetened strawberries and it was way too sweet. I will not be making this again."
"I followed the recipe exact and it was a soupy mess. Also the crust under was so hard it could not be cut easily. The picture showed a pretty slice. Don't know what went wrong as I even made it the day before."
"This was WAY too sweet for my tastes, in spite of the fact that instead of the 20 oz. of frozen sweetened strawberries, I used 16 oz. of fresh strawberries, cut up. In fact, I think another pound of fresh strawberries would help cut the sweetness and there was certainly enough "matrix" to hold a lot more strawberries. Really, it was so sweet it reminded me of eating jelly beans! And I like jelly beans, but for a whole dessert???"
"Everyone loves this recipe! It is a great summertime dessert, but I get asked for it all year long from my family. When I take it to family dinners there never seems to be enough. I did make one change, my husband doesn't like vanilla wafers so I use graham cracker crumbs instead. Still works out great, you should give it a try once."
"easy and delicious. Always a huge hit at potlucks."