Creamy Old-Fashioned Potato Salad
Total TimePrep: 1 hour Cook: 20 min. + chilling
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons salt, divided
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 5 pounds red potatoes
- 12 hard-boiled large eggs
- 3 cups finely chopped celery
- 1 medium sweet onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, flour and 1 teaspoon salt. Stir in milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Gently stir in vinegar and mustard. Cool without stirring to room temperature.
- Cut potatoes into 1/2-in. cubes; place in a large kettle and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until tender. Drain; rinse in cold water and drain again.
- Set aside one hard-boiled egg for garnish; chop the remaining eggs. In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, chopped eggs, celery and onion. Whisk the mayonnaise, pepper and remaining salt into cooled milk mixture. Pour over potato mixture; toss gently to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Garnish with reserved egg.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 285 calories, 20g fat (3g saturated fat), 134mg cholesterol, 500mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 2, 2011
Had good taste and texture, but next time I would use less celery and onion. I personally don't care for a "crunchy" potato salad.
Nov 21, 2008
I made this for a group of deer hunters and it went over very well. I added dry ranch seasoning, parsley, dill, and additional pepper. I also used less potatoes for a creamier salad. Delicious!
Apr 19, 2008
Too much work.