Being a new mom on a small budget, I've been experimenting with chicken recipes. I actually wanted to make another dish but didn't have all the ingredients, so I substituted a few and came up with this recipe.
Recommended: 100 Ways to Cook Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 6 to 8 chicken pieces, skin removed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 can (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- Additional ground nutmeg
- In a large skillet, brown chicken in butter. Remove chicken and set aside.
- In the same skillet, saute onion and parsley until onion is tender. Add the soup, sour cream, milk, nutmeg, sage, thyme and rosemary; mix well. Return chicken to the skillet an spoon sauce over pieces.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 25-30 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink, basting occasionally. Sprinkle with additional nutmeg. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Creamy Nutmeg Chicken in Country August/September 1994, p51