Creamy Broccoli Soup with Nutmeg
Total TimePrep: 5 min. Cook: 30 min. + cooling
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 to 2-1/2 pounds fresh broccoli spears, cut into florets
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- In a large saucepan, bring broth to a boil; add broccoli. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, saute onions in oil until tender; stir into broth. Remove from heat; cool 10-15 minutes. Puree in small batches in a blender or food processor until smooth. Return all to the saucepan; set aside.
- In a small pan, combine flour, salt, nutmeg and pepper. Slowly add cream, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Gradually stir into broccoli mixture. Return to the heat; cook over medium until heated through, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 222 calories, 11g fat (5g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 1611mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 7g fiber), 12g protein.
Jul 8, 2013
YUM! Followed the recipe exactly and this soup is very good!
Dec 6, 2011
We loved this soup and so easy to make. I have made frequently since I first tried it and will continue to go this recipe throughout the winter months.
Oct 25, 2011
Nice and easy, will make again. I used evaporated milk instead of half and half cream to make it lighter. I think I'm going to use less of it next time, though, it smothers the nice flavor of broccoli. I also used more nutmeg.
Oct 24, 2011
This was easy an easy recipe to prepare. I found it lacking a little on the flavor front, so I added a cup of shredded cheddar cheese. Be careful not to warm it too long, as the half and half will begin to curdle.
Mar 1, 2011
This was very good but I would cut back on the flour because I don't like it real thick.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.