Creamy Ham Rolls
Need a simple buffet or brunch entree? Roll up these individual portions and let guests serve themselves. It’s equally simple to put together ahead of time. —Becky Carcich, Littleton, Colorado
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3 cups cooked wild rice
- 1 can (8 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 12 thin slices fully cooked ham (about 3/4 pound)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Minced fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in flour, dill, garlic salt and pepper until smooth and bubbly. Gradually add broth, cream and mustard; cook until thickened.
- Pour 1 cup into an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan; reserve another cup for topping. To the remaining sauce, add rice and mushrooms; spoon 1/3 cup onto each ham slice. Roll up and place with seam side down over sauce in pan. Top with reserved sauce.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° until heated through, 25-30 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese and parsley; serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 roll: 227 calories, 13g fat (8g saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 688mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 10g protein.
Originally published as Creamy Ham Rolls in Crafting Traditions Premiere 1995
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.