Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min./batch
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries, chopped
- 6 tablespoons finely chopped crystallized ginger, optional
- In a bowl, cream butter, sugar, egg yolk, vanilla and salt until light and fluffy. Gradually add flour. Stir in cranberries and, if desired, ginger. Divide the dough in half; form each half into a 6x3x1-in. block. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 3 hours or up to 2 days.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Unwrap logs; cut the dough into 1/4-in.-thick slices. Place on ungreased parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake 12-15 minutes or until edges are golden. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts2 cookies: 136 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 127mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Dec 18, 2018
Made these last year, they were delicious!! Will be making them again this year, one batch will have mini choc. chips as I have a friend who does not like dried fruit.
Nov 13, 2018
I made these according to the recipe but substituted a tsp. of orange extract and tsp.of dried orange peel for the ginger. I also made a glaze of powdered sugar, milk and orange extract and drizzled the cookies after they cooled. They are tender and absolutely delicious. I will be making this for Christmas.
Dec 6, 2017
I'm sorry to have to say that this is the worst recipe I've ever worked with. The outcome was an awful cookie - it tasted like flour in my mouth. I followed the recipe exactly, had no problem mixing the dough. Kept it in the fridge for almost two days, had no problem slicing them. But the good fortune ended there. I made two logs, I will toss the other one. A waste of butter and cranberries. Perhaps Tasteofhome kitchen crew might do a run of them and see if something is missing from the recipe.
Dec 1, 2017
I made these and brought them to work today. I think the crumbly texture of the cookie and the tart of the cranberry go nicely together. I also love the color of the final result.I did have to cook these for about 15 minutes, flip, and cook a couple more minutes, but that could have been from the dish I was using (not a true cookie dish) as well as the oven itself. The bottom was a perfect golden brown. I would recommend letting them cool completely before moving them, or if you have to flip them, wait a couple moments to let it rest. I broke a cookie or two like that.Like "gramcayo" I think these would be a wonderful addition to a Christmas cookie plate.
Nov 9, 2011
These are wonderful and look great. I've added them to my christmas cookie plate. I didn't have dried cranberries and added frozen. Delicious
Dec 20, 2010
This cookie is too dry and tasteless. When mixing the batter it would not come together. 1 egg yolk. Is this correct? A waste of ingredients.
Dec 12, 2008
anyone out there make cookies with gumdrops in them? I saw it somewhere tonight and cannot find it again...