Coffee ‘n’ Cream Brownies
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 25 min. + standing
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 2 large Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- In a microwave, melt butter and chocolate; stir until smooth. Cool slightly. In a small bowl, beat the eggs, sugar and vanilla; stir in chocolate mixture. Combine flour and baking soda; stir into chocolate mixture.
- Spread into a greased 8-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean (do not overbake). Cool on a wire rack.
- For filling, dissolve coffee granules in cream. Add confectioners' sugar and butter; beat just until light and fluffy (do not overbeat). Spread over brownies. Refrigerate until set.
- In a small saucepan, combine chips and cream. Cook and stir over low heat until chips are melted. Cool slightly. Carefully spread over filling. Let stand for 30 minutes or until glaze is set. Cut into squares. Store in refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 brownie: 282 calories, 17g fat (10g saturated fat), 51mg cholesterol, 91mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
May 8, 2017
A friend of mine loaned me a square baking pan and I returned it to her with these in the pan. They were an instant hit!!
Sep 5, 2014
Made these last night and was so disappointed. Followed the recipe exactly and ended up with dense, chewy brownies (nothing wrong with that, but about as far from "cake-like" as can be). The coffee cream was definitely too thick to spread, so added 1T+ of cream. It tasted great on its own, but had virtually no flavor once it was on the brownies and covered with the glaze. Much to my surprise, the finished product was mostly flavorless and way too sweet.
Jul 23, 2014
Delicious! I made these as written, with the exception of using half whole wheat flour, half white.
May 5, 2012
These are delicious brownies. I garnished them with chocolate covered espresso beans. I noticed that I needed to add additional cream to the filling mixture because it was too dry; but other than that I made them as written.
Jan 1, 2012
I sought out this recipe after paying top dollar for them at a bakery! Awesome...can't ever make enough.
Aug 8, 2011
These were delicious but very messy. Not sure if I did something wrong or what, but the toppings never really set and they definitely didn't look like the picture. But I will still make them again because they were soo yummy!
May 15, 2011
We made this recipe at our bakery and it was a HUGE hit. They are delicious and relatively easy to make. Use the best chocolate available and unsalted butter for optimal results. Enjoy!
Feb 19, 2011
Soo good; and very rich! I used evaporated milk in place of the heavy whipping cream and it turned out great. The coffee filling only covered half of my 11x7 in. pan, so I would double next time. Great with coffee ice cream!!
Feb 15, 2011
It is very rich....and creamy and delicious! I actually used ghiradelli mix and that was yummy with the coffee cream and chocolate topping. Also...I'd suggest using Starbucks instant coffee brand over instant granules cuz it's 100% natural and micro ground so it dissolves perfectly with the heavy whipping cream.
Dec 8, 2010
I agree with previous posting about doubling up the coffee/cream layer- it was very thin. I also used 2 oz unsweetened chocolate/1 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips because I didn't have enough unsweetened for the base. Turned out quite sweet- but still delicious!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.