Frosted Fudge Brownies
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + cooling Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2-2/3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup whole milk
- In a saucepan, melt butter. Remove from the heat. Stir in cocoa; cool. In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar until blended. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to egg mixture. Stir in vanilla and the cooled chocolate mixture until well blended.
- Spread into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 25-28 minutes (do not overbake). Cool on a wire rack.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in cocoa and vanilla. Add enough milk until the frosting achieves spreading consistency. Spread over brownies. Cut into bars.
Nutrition Facts1 brownie: 277 calories, 13g fat (8g saturated fat), 68mg cholesterol, 248mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 30, 2018
Really good fudgy brownie recipe. Especially considering it calls for granulated sugar vs. brown sugar. After several batches I’ve found that brand I’d cocoa used makes a difference. I would tend to a darker cocoa powder that is a bit finer in grind. I thought that the frosting was ok but it makes way too much unless you want some brownie with your frosting. I don’t frost them as these morsels of fudgy goodness really don’t need it.
Dec 12, 2018
The frosting recipe is terrible.
Jul 29, 2018
For any experienced baker, salted butter is rarely used and the recipe didn't call for salted butter to begin with!
Jul 28, 2018
Just made these delicious brownies today, excellent recipe ! I will clarify, these brownies are more cake-like. For a more chewy brownie I use the recipe on the Baker's Unsweetened Chocolate Squares Box- the "One Bowl Brownie" recipe. That one has been around for years, I've been making those since high school ! It just depends upon your preference. Thank you Sue for sharing a fantastic recipe I will be sure to make many times !
Jun 1, 2018
These were really good and simple to make! I don't understand a couple of the negative comments - if your husband doesn't like frosted brownies, don't make frosted brownies:) It's clearly not the recipe for him. Also, the frosting is a basic recipe that can easily be adjusted - if it's too thin, add some confectioner's sugar; too thick, add some milk. That is the beauty of those types of frostings.
May 13, 2018
I first made this recipe a couple of years ago and I just made it again, recently, as a treat to send in to my son's class at school. It was a hit. My husband loved them too because he loves frosting on brownies. This recipe never disappoints.
Mar 28, 2018
I tried this recipe and it is wonderful! I took it to a group gathering and everyone asked for the recipe! I did add 3/4 cup chopped pecans because we like nuts in our brownies. Will make many times again.
Mar 25, 2018
So tasty and easy to make. Yum!
Feb 6, 2018
This was the worst brownie recipe, very very salty. These were made verbatim. They are cakey, and overall bad taste. I’m really surprised the test kitchen let this recipe pass.
Nov 27, 2017
Good, but not the best I've had. I did not frost them. These were more cake-like.