- 1 package chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package (3.9 ounces) instant chocolate pudding mix
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup water
- 4 eggs
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, beat the cake and pudding mixes, oil, water and eggs. Pour into a greased and floured 13x9-in. baking pan.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; invert onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a small saucepan, combine flour and milk until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Cool.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, shortening, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy; beat in milk mixture until sugar is dissolved, about 5 minutes.
- Split cake into two horizontal layers. Spread filling over the bottom layer; cover with top layer. Cut into serving-size pieces. Freeze in an airtight container for up to 1 month. Remove from freezer 1 hour before serving. Yield: 12-18 servings.
Reviews forChocolate Creme Cakes
"The cake was ablsolutely incredible. Extremely moist and dense; the filling however, was very disapointing. After tasting the finished icing product (before it went on the cakes) it lacked flavor and wasn't half as white as the picture shows. I added a jar of marsmallow fluff and it certainly made the mix sweet, thankfully. I will be making the cake recipe again, but just add a different filling. These would make unbelievable cupcakes! Now there's an idea ;)"
"I have made this several times over the years. It is one of our favorite cakes for picnics and parties. I always get rave reviews whenever I make it."
"I have makde this several times and everyone loves them. Thank you for the recipe."
"With a calorie count of 389 per slice, how is this a "light" recipe?"