I bring cake pops to my church group when we have movie nights. This year for Halloween, I used my go-to recipe to make these not-so-scary spiders. —Nicole Rae Paoli, Newark, Delaware
Total TimePrep: 1 hour + freezing
- 1 package chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 6 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- 64 pretzel sticks, halved
- 4-1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 32 red M&M's minis
- Prepare and bake cake mix according to package directions, using a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Crumble cake into a large bowl to measure 7 cups.
- In a large bowl, beat butter, cocoa and vanilla until creamy. Beat in confectioners’ sugar alternately with milk until smooth. Add cake crumbs; mix well. Shape into sixteen 1-1/2-in. balls and sixteen 3/4-in. balls.
- To assemble spiders, insert a wooden or metal skewer through one small cake ball and then halfway through one large cake ball; repeat with remaining balls. Place on waxed paper-lined baking sheets; insert eight pretzel halves into each large ball to form legs. Freeze 2 hours or until firm.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Dip each spider in chocolate, allowing excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper-lined baking sheets.
- Remove skewers and attach M&M's for eyes. Refrigerate until set.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 spider: 495 calories, 29g fat (13g saturated fat), 59mg cholesterol, 171mg sodium, 60g carbohydrate (36g sugars, 4g fiber), 6g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.