Chicken with Onions and Figs
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 3 large red onions, halved and sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 10 dried figs, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- In a large skillet, saute onions in butter until tender. Add the figs, honey, lemon juice, garlic and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until mixture is thick, stirring occasionally.
- Place chicken in two greased 13x9-in. baking dishes. Spoon onion mixture over chicken. Sprinkle with paprika. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a thermometer reads 180°. Serve with pan juices.
Nutrition Facts2 servings: 503 calories, 22g fat (8g saturated fat), 169mg cholesterol, 463mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 4g fiber), 45g protein.
Sep 9, 2019
All in all, this chicken dish was pretty tasty! I imagine that exactly how the onion mixture turns out flavor wise depends on how the large the onions you use are; I used three large — VERY large — onions, so while it made more than enough onion mixture to top all the chicken with, I believe the sheer amount of onion overwhelmed the other flavors (lemon, garlic, figs, honey) in this mixture. And I was out of honey, so I substituted real maple syrup, which was really delicious! I’ll definitely attempt this recipe again, but next time I’ll use smaller onions, and I’ll probably season the chicken with a little salt and pepper before topping it with the onion mixture. The chicken turned out incredibly moist and tender. Thanks for the great recipe, Helen!
Nov 7, 2012
I made this using boneless/skinless chicken breasts and orange juice (since I didn't have any lemon juice on hand). It was delicious! This is a keeper. Thanx!