Chicken with Cherry Sauce
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 1 pound fresh or frozen pitted sweet cherries
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Set aside 3/4 cup cherries. In a blender, combine orange juice and remaining cherries; cover and process until smooth. Add the soy sauce, brown sugar, honey, lemon juice, garlic and ginger; set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, brown chicken on all sides in butter. Place chicken skin side down in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Top with cherry sauce.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20 minutes; turn chicken. Top with reserved cherries. Bake, uncovered, 25-30 minutes longer or until chicken juices run clear.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 453 calories, 21g fat (8g saturated fat), 103mg cholesterol, 1364mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (33g sugars, 2g fiber), 32g protein.
Jul 5, 2015
I did a variation with canned cherry pie filling and added seasoned salt to brown a pork roast with. Cooked the pie filling with 1/4 C soy sauce, 1T Worcestershire sauce, 1/4 C brown sugar, 3 T lime juice, 1 garlic clove, 1 tsp ginger, 1 large sweet onion and 2 T brown gravy mix. Slow-cooked for 6 hours.
Jul 9, 2013
I made this to go over ham steak slices. I combined all of the ingredients in a saucepan on the stove & cooked it on simmer until the cherries were soft. It was excellent! Will definitely make it again.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.