Chicken Breasts with Cherry Sauce
I look forward to having fresh Bing cherries every summer, and I freeze some so I can serve this simple, tasty dish all year-round.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 30 min.
Makes6 servings (2 cups sauce)
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 cups pitted fresh or frozen dark sweet cherries, thawed
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine flour and salt. Add chicken, one piece at a time, and shake to coat. In a large skillet over medium heat, brown chicken in butter on both sides. Remove from the heat.
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, orange juice, onion, orange zest, ginger and cinnamon. Bring to a boil; cook for 5 minutes or until slightly reduced and sugar is dissolved, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat; stir in cherries.
- Pour sauce over chicken. Cover and cook over low heat for 30-35 minutes or until a thermometer reads 170°.
- Remove chicken to a serving platter; keep warm. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into the sauce. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with chicken.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 266 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 485mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (33g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein.
Originally published as Cheery Cherry Chicken in Country Extra May 2007
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.