Chicken in Plum Sauce
The secret is in the sauce in this delicious main dish. Honey, plums and garlic combine to make a sauce that adds mouthwatering flavor to tender, juicy chicken.—Patricia Collins, Imbler, Oregon
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3-1/2 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cans (16-1/2 ounces each) whole plums, pitted
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Coat chicken pieces with flour; brown in oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan.
- Drain plums, reserving syrup; remove pits and coarsely chop plums in a food processor. Pour into a measuring cup; add enough syrup to equal 2 cups. Place in a saucepan. Add honey, vinegar and garlic; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Pour over chicken.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45 minutes or until chicken juices run clear.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 536 calories, 23g fat (5g saturated fat), 102mg cholesterol, 90mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (32g sugars, 1g fiber), 34g protein.
Originally published as Chicken in Plum Sauce in Taste of Home August/September 1996