Plum-Glazed Roast Chicken
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 2 hours + standing
- 4 medium oranges, halved and seeds removed
- 1 roasting chicken (6 to 7 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (15 ounces) plums
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup thawed lemonade concentrate
- 1/3 cup chili sauce
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 drops hot pepper sauce, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Arrange oranges in a shallow roasting pan, cut sides down. Place chicken over oranges, breast side up. Mix garlic powder and salt; rub over the outside and inside of chicken. Tuck wings under chicken; tie drumsticks together.
- Roast 1-1/4 hours. Meanwhile, drain plums, reserving liquid. Remove pits from plums. Place plums in a food processor; process until pureed.
- In a large skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender, 3-4 minutes. Add pureed plums and reserved plum liquid; stir in remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally, 10-15 minutes. Remove 3/4 cup mixture for glaze; reserve remaining mixture for sauce.
- Remove chicken from oven; brush chicken with some of the glaze. Roast until a thermometer inserted in thigh reads 170°-175°, brushing occasionally with remaining glaze, 3/4 to 1-1/4 hours longer. (Cover loosely with foil if chicken browns too quickly.)
- Remove chicken from oven; tent with foil. Let stand 15 minutes before carving. Reheat reserved sauce. Serve chicken with sauce.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
May 6, 2014
I made this recipe at the Taste of Home Cooking School show in Calusa, CA and then made it again at home the following day. It is a delicious combination of fruit and chicken. Thank you for sharing.