Chicken with Blueberry Sauce
"This is one of my best recipes," reports Thomas Jewell Sr. of Avenel, New Jersey. "Blueberries are mixed with apricot jam and mustard to create a sweet tangy sauce for tender chicken," he says. —Thomas Jewell Sr., Avenel, New Jersey
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (1 pound)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup apricot preserves or spreadable fruit
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook chicken in oil for about 4 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Combine preserves and mustard; spoon over chicken. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until chicken juices run clear.
- With a slotted spoon, remove chicken and keep warm. Add vinegar to skillet; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 3 minutes or until sauce is reduced by one-third, stirring occasionally. Stir in blueberries. Serve over chicken and rice if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 264 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 66mg cholesterol, 360mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 27g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 fruit.
Originally published as Chicken with Blueberry Sauce in Quick Cooking July/August 2001