Chicken Mushroom Melts
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1-1/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 pound medium fresh mushrooms, quartered
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 16 slices French bread (1 inch thick)
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook chicken and mushrooms in oil for 5 minutes. Stir in soy sauce; cook 7 minutes longer. Stir in cream; cook for 4-6 minutes or until sauce is thickened (do not boil).
- In a small bowl, combine butter and garlic; spread over bread. Place buttered side up on an ungreased baking sheet. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Top each slice with 1/4 cup chicken mixture. Sprinkle with cheese. Broil for 1-2 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 228 calories, 13g fat (8g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 313mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 14g protein.
Jun 4, 2015
I agree that this tasted bland. Even my husband who doesn't like strong flavors ate it but said it was "just ok". I even added the green onions as someone mentioned, but it just wasn't enough. Not bad, but not something I plan on making again.
Feb 9, 2009
I thought that this was very bland. To jazz it up, I topped it with toasted almonds and green chives. If I make this again, I'm going to use Monteray Jack cheese instead.
Dec 26, 2008
12/24/2008 - Excellent recipe but very filling. I made them as an appetizer and used thinner French bread slices. We only made one appetizer and each had 2 of these so we could still eat dinner.
Oct 28, 2008
I tried this appetizer last Christmas when our family got together. I can't count how many times I've made them since then. Everytime I make them they get rave reviews by all. They are delicious and look quite fancy but are really easy to make.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.