Chicken Mushroom Melts
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1-1/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 pound medium fresh mushrooms, quartered
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 16 slices French bread (1 inch thick)
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook chicken and mushrooms in oil for 5 minutes. Stir in soy sauce; cook 7 minutes longer. Stir in cream; cook for 4-6 minutes or until sauce is thickened (do not boil).
- In a small bowl, combine butter and garlic; spread over bread. Place buttered side up on an ungreased baking sheet. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Top each slice with 1/4 cup chicken mixture. Sprinkle with cheese. Broil for 1-2 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 228 calories, 13g fat (8g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 313mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 14g protein.
Jun 4, 2015
I agree that this tasted bland. Even my husband who doesn't like strong flavors ate it but said it was "just ok". I even added the green onions as someone mentioned, but it just wasn't enough. Not bad, but not something I plan on making again.
Feb 9, 2009
I thought that this was very bland. To jazz it up, I topped it with toasted almonds and green chives. If I make this again, I'm going to use Monteray Jack cheese instead.
Dec 26, 2008
12/24/2008 - Excellent recipe but very filling. I made them as an appetizer and used thinner French bread slices. We only made one appetizer and each had 2 of these so we could still eat dinner.
Oct 28, 2008
I tried this appetizer last Christmas when our family got together. I can't count how many times I've made them since then. Everytime I make them they get rave reviews by all. They are delicious and look quite fancy but are really easy to make.