- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups light cream
- 1-1/2 to 2 cups chicken broth, divided
- 3/4 pound process American cheese, cubed
- 2 boxes (7-ounce each) elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 jar (2 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Snipped fresh parsley, optional
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until combined. Add cream and 1-1/2 cups of the broth all at once; stir until smooth. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly; cook and stir 2 minutes more. Remove from the heat; add the cheese and stir until melted. Stir in macaroni, chicken, pimientos, salt and pepper. Add additional broth if needed. Pour into a 3-qt. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with parsley if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews forChicken Macaroni Casserole
"I used shredded cheddar cheese and omitted the pimentos, since we don't care for them. I used bread crumbs on the top before I put it the oven. Turned out great. Everyone liked it. Nice and creamy!"
"good for weeknights, not good enough for company"
"I exchanged one cup of the milk for a can of cream of chicken, I kept everything else the same. Our whole family loved it!!!"
"Way to much sodium and fat! Use low sodium broth, either low fat half/half or low fat non-dairy creamer, low fat cheese, no salt, add some onion/grn pepper, poultry seasoning,sage, rosemary, or other spices would help with the flavor."
"I substituted one can of cream of mushroom soup for 1 cup of the milk and used 2 tsp. of Morton's Nature's blend in place of all the seasoning. Was very good."