- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten or egg substitute equivalent
- 1 package (12 ounces) unseasoned stuffing cubes
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken or mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1/3 cup water
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and celery in butter until tender; remove from the heat. Add broth, thyme, poultry seasoning, salt, pepper, nutmeg and eggs; mix well. Add bread cubes and parsley; toss to mix. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Top with chicken. Combine soup and water; spoon over chicken. Let stand for 10 minutes. Cover and bake at 350° for 50 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 5-10 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forChicken and Dressing Dish
"This is a great make-ahead comfort food meal. I never add the chicken broth to the eggs and seasonings. Instead, I pour a little bit at a time into the stuffing mixture to make sure it doesn't get too wet. How much stock you need depends on the moisture in your stuffing cubes, since there are ultra dry varieties and simple cubed bread varieties. Personally, I just tear up a loaf of cheap bread."
"This dish had great flavor. It was however, very very mushy, and I left out the last one third cup water. Baked for an hour and a half to dry it out some and still was very mushy."
"Mine turned out soggy. Maybe I didn't bake it long enough?"
"This recipe is out of sight! Comfort food at its best. I will definitely make again.... and again and again!"
"I served this at a baby shower luncheon I hosted and it got rave reviews, with several requests for the recipe. I used cornbread stuffing cubes. It is delicious."