Sage Dressing For Chicken
My family just loves this chicken stuffed with delicious sage dressing. They always ask for seconds.—Bobbie Talbott, Veneta, Oregon
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 1-3/4 hours
- 2 cups unseasoned dry bread cubes
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh sage or 1 tablespoon rubbed dried sage
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 roasting chicken (3 to 4 pounds)
- Melted butter, optional
- In a large bowl, combine bread cubes, onion, parsley, sage and the egg. Add enough broth until stuffing is moistened and holds together. Stuff loosely into chicken. Fasten with skewers to close. Place with breast side up on a shallow rack in roasting pan. Brush with butter if desired. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 1-3/4 to 2-1/4 hours or until juices run clear. Baste several times with pan juices or butter. Prepare gravy if desired.
Nutrition Facts8 ounce-weight: 359 calories, 8g fat (0 saturated fat), 85mg cholesterol, 128mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 42g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 vegetable.
Originally published as Sage Dressing For Chicken in Taste of Home December/January 1994