"This moist hearty stuffing is nicely seasoned with sausage, sage and fresh mushrooms," writes field editor Betty Sitzman from Wray, Colorado. "Sometimes I use it to stuff the bird...and other times I bake it separately."
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 1/2 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 6 cups cubed day-old bread
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the sausage, onion, celery and mushrooms in oil until meat is no longer pink; drain if necessary. In a large bowl, combine the remaining ingredients; add sausage mixture and toss to coat.
- Transfer to a greased 11x7-in. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until lightly browned.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 325 calories, 22g fat (8g saturated fat), 34mg cholesterol, 632mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 10g protein.
Originally published as Sage Dressing in Taste of Home October/November 2002
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.