Sage & Prosciutto Chicken Saltimbocca
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1/2 cup plus 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 fresh sage leaves
- 8 thin slices prosciutto or deli ham
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons white wine or additional chicken broth
- Lemon slices and fresh sage, optional
- Place 1/2 cup flour in a shallow bowl; set aside. Flatten chicken breasts to 1/4-in. thickness. Sprinkle both sides with salt and pepper; top each breast half with 2 sage leaves and 2 slices prosciutto, pressing to adhere. Dip chicken sides only in flour to coat.
- In a large skillet, heat oil and butter over medium heat; cook chicken for 3-4 minutes on each side or until lightly browned and chicken is no longer pink. Remove and keep warm.
- In a small bowl, whisk the chicken broth, lemon juice, wine and remaining flour; add to the skillet, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Spoon over chicken. Top chicken with lemon and sage if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 chicken breast half with 2 tablespoons sauce: 355 calories, 17 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 128 mg cholesterol, 1070 mg sodium, 5 g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 43 g protein.
Jan 10, 2019
1/10/19: we had company over this past weekend and I wanted something special, this was perfect, easy , flavorful , and so pretty on the plate! I served it w a side of fettuccini Alfredo ,a large toss salad and garlic knots .It was a big hit!
Jun 15, 2012
In the past I've made chicken saltimbocca but the chicken was rolled with the proscuitto and sage inside. This version was much easier to put together. But the other recipe had you deglaze the pan with broth, juice and wine and then simmer the chicken briefly. Liked how the flavor soaked into the chicken that way. Next time I'll just combine the best of both recipes.
May 24, 2012
Made the whole meal pictured (Rosemary Roasted Potatoes & Asparagus and Orange Chocolate Ricotta Pie) featured in the magazine. A really special Italian meal. Not that difficult so I made it while we were in Hilton Head Island for a week. My Mom and sister were impressed!
May 24, 2012
Wonderful recipe! Quick and easy, and always a hit. Great mix of flavors.
May 8, 2012
I used ham instead of prosciutto since that is what I had on hand. It turned out delicious. A definite do-over!
Apr 28, 2012
I made this last Sunday for dinner with our neighbors. Everyone raved over it and my neighbors who are "foodies" thought it was restaurant quality. Will definately make this again!
Apr 1, 2012
I'm usually reluctant to try something new for Sunday dinner, but something about this told me I would love it. I did indeed, and so did my whole family. We are not crazy about sage so I used tarragon instead. Delicious!