Sage Meat Loaf
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 65 min.
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup crushed saltines
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Pat meat mixture into an ungreased 9x5-in. loaf pan. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 50 minutes.
- Combine the ketchup, brown sugar, mustard and nutmeg; spread over top. Bake 15-20 minutes longer or until meat is no longer pink and a thermometer reads 160°. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 336 calories, 17g fat (6g saturated fat), 113mg cholesterol, 757mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 1g fiber), 26g protein.
Jun 22, 2017
Very tasty ...
Mar 6, 2016
Only one of four diners didn't like it. He didn't like the sage in meatloaf. It was a good texture and seasoning, and the sauce was good.
Nov 11, 2015
While this is a pretty good meat loaf, I'm giving my 5 stars to the sauce. There are only two of us, but I usually triple or quadruple the sauce recipe to use as a spread on meat loaf sandwiches.
Apr 22, 2015
It came out of the pan very easily. It tasted very good even though ran out of sage so i used basil instead.....
Jan 14, 2013
I found this recipe, just ok. A better recipe is "Slow cooked Meat Loaf" from QuickCooking,Mar of 98. I exchanged the 2 slices of bread in that recipe for soda crackers, 1 cup. Also you cook carrots and potatoes along with it for one pot dinner!
Dec 8, 2012
It was okay but not awesome
Oct 29, 2011
This made a nice flavorful moist meatloaf. I did find it stuck to the pan though so next time I will grease the pan. We did not add the topping because we don't like the sweet ketchup type toppings...we just left our plain, although next time I just might have to try the gravy suggestion another reviewer mentioned. Thanks TOH, for another great homestyle recipe!
Oct 2, 2010
Consider this my best recipe!
Sep 22, 2010
awesome recipe! we loved it! only thing I added was garlic!
Sep 16, 2010
Whenever I make meatloaf I use celery salt in place of the regular salt. This gave this recipe the seasoning I felt it needed. Will certainly make it again!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.