Beef Brisket Marinara
Marinara sauce and tender meat are real comfort food. Serve this brisket with mashed potatoes, rice or pasta. —Donna Marie Ryan, Topsfield, Massachusetts
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 3-3/4 hours
- 1 fresh beef brisket (4 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 1 jar (24 ounces) marinara sauce
- Sprinkle brisket with salt and pepper. In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Brown brisket on both sides. Remove from pan.
- Add celery and carrot to same pan; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add wine; cook, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Stir in marinara sauce.
- Return brisket to pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 3-1/2-4 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove brisket from pan. Skim fat from sauce. Cut brisket diagonally across the grain into thin slices; serve with sauce.