Chicken Saltimbocca with Mushroom Sauce
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs (2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 thin slices prosciutto or deli ham
- 1/2 cup chopped shallots
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup white wine or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup half-and-half cream
- 3 tablespoons fresh sage or 3 teaspoons dried sage leaves, divided
- 1 can (15 ounces) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained, divided
- 1/4 cup water
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add chicken, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook chicken in 1 tablespoon oil for 6-8 minutes on each side or until juices run clear. Remove and keep warm.
- In the same skillet, saute the mushrooms, prosciutto, shallots and garlic in remaining oil until tender. Stir in wine. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced to about 1/3 cup, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in broth. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until slightly reduced. Stir in cream and 2 tablespoons sage; heat through (do not boil).
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, lightly mash 1/2 cup beans; add the water. Stir in the remaining pepper, sage and beans. Heat through.
- Add chicken to the mushroom mixture and heat through. Serve with beans.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 290 calories, 13g fat (4g saturated fat), 84mg cholesterol, 371mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 3g fiber), 26g protein.
May 16, 2017
This was very good. I substituted turkey ham and chicken cutlets. Also used white wine and cannellini beans. We had enough for more than one meal. Thanks for the recipe.
Nov 9, 2015
Really tasty! We didn't add the beans and I think next time we will use apple juice or cider in place of the chicken broth. I think an apple flavor will really go well with this.
Apr 1, 2011
To clarify the recipe--should say combine bean mixture with sauce.
Jun 21, 2010
Used boneless, skinless breasts....an impressive dish w/o too much fuss. My husband bragged about it to friends. Will definately go on the "favorites" list!
Dec 7, 2009
So good, and rich in flavor. Cooks fast, and great for entertaining!
Oct 19, 2009
This was a perfect recipe. We loved the sauce and want to try it with white meat next time.
Oct 4, 2009
We loved the dish w/o the the bean sauce. We doubled the items in the sauce that we did use. a favorite recipe