Cherry Rhubarb Crunch
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 4 cups diced rhubarb
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- Vanilla ice cream
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine oats, brown sugar, flour and salt; stir well. Cut in butter until crumbly. Pat 2 cups of mixture into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish; cover with rhubarb.
- In a saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in water; cook until mixture is thickened and clear. Stir in extract and cherry filling; spoon over rhubarb. Combine nuts with reserved crumb mixture; sprinkle over cherries. Bake until filling is bubbly and topping is lightly browned, 40-45 minutes. If desired, serve with ice cream.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 294 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 116mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (38g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
May 26, 2019
Being a Michigan girl myself.. Love this recipe, its all about the cherry rhubarb combo, if you don't think you like rhubarb, try this recipe it will change your mind forever
May 10, 2019
My family is not fond of rhubarb, but they enjoyed this dessert. Served it warm with whipped cream! May try it with strawberry pie filling!
Apr 28, 2019
this was so good! I made it twice in 10 day period. Only change I made was I only added a small amount of oat topping on bottom and put the rest on top. I'll make this a lot, we loved it.
Mar 30, 2019
This recipe is my kryptonite!! OMG- if I make a pan, I cannot keep my hands off it! It is perfection!
Aug 6, 2014
This is an easy recipe that is so good! Our family of boys love this dessert! As a TOH field editor, I try a lot of summertime dessert recipes and this is definitely a keeper!!!
May 22, 2011
The best recipe ever and have been making it for years! Since I'm a single household, I use 10 oz baking dishes (I use vintage Pyrex #700 or use the modern made dishes) to create individual desserts. I skip the bottom crust by spreading approximately 1 cup of the cherry rhubarb mixture into dish, then sprinkling approximately 1/2 cup of crumble mixture on top. I wrap dishes in plastic wrap, slide into zip bags and freeze. When ready to bake, set dish in a foil pie pan, bake for 50-55 minutes. I also use chopped slivered almonds in place of walnuts.
Jun 23, 2010
Very good..had requests to make over and over! Could cut back on sugar as it is rather sweet.
Apr 14, 2010
this is the best recipe- the only problem is I cannot stop eating it!I like extra crumbs- so I use all the crumb mixture for the topping- and do not use any for the base- it is really really good!