Strawberry Rhubarb Tart
The refreshing flavor of springtime fills every forkful of this tantalizing tart from Kristy Martin of Circle Pine, Minnesota. Oats give the from-scratch crust an old-fashioned taste.
Total TimePrep: 1 hour 20 min. + chilling
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats, toasted
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 tablespoons whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-1/2 cups sliced fresh strawberries, divided
- 2 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 5 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 4 teaspoons currant jelly, melted
- Process oats in a food processor until finely ground. Place in a large bowl; add the flour, sugar, lemon zest, baking powder and salt. Slowly add oil, stirring until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine milk and vanilla; stir into flour mixture, a tablespoon at a time, until mixture forms a ball.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead 7-8 times. Place pastry between sheets of waxed paper; roll out to fit a 9-in. fluted tart pan with removable bottom. Grease the tart pan; gently press pastry into pan. Line pastry shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 350° for 12 minutes. Remove foil; bake 8-12 minutes longer or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
- For filling, combine 1 cup strawberries, rhubarb, sugar and lemon zest in a large saucepan. Let stand for 30 minutes.
- Cook and stir over medium-low heat for 8-10 minutes or until rhubarb is tender but retains shape. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into fruit mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Pour into a bowl; cover surface with waxed paper. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
- Just before serving, spread filling into crust. Arrange remaining strawberries on top. Brush with jelly.
Editor's NoteIf using frozen rhubarb, measure rhubarb while still frozen, then thaw completely. Drain in a colander, but do not press liquid out.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 0g sugar total.
Originally published as Strawberry Rhubarb Tart in Light & Tasty June/July 2001
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.