Strawberry Rhubarb Crunch
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 6 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 package (3 ounces) strawberry gelatin
- Vanilla ice cream, optional
- In a large bowl, combine flour and brown sugar. Cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in the oats. Press half into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; top with rhubarb.
- In a small saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch; stir in water until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Pour over rhubarb. Sprinkle with gelatin powder. Top with remaining crumb mixture.
- Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until rhubarb is tender and topping is golden brown. Serve with ice cream if desired.
Editor's NoteIf using frozen rhubarb, measure rhubarb while still frozen, then thaw completely. Drain in a colander, but do not press liquid out.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 406 calories, 13g fat (8g saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 151mg sodium, 70g carbohydrate (48g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
May 23, 2016
I have made this a couple of times over the last few weeks, and it is delicious! The first time I did not have enough rhubarb, so I added raspberries to it. It was great that way too, and I will make it again.
Dec 28, 2015
I make this at least once a spring when rhubarb is in season
Jun 30, 2015
I've been making this one for almost 10 years now. I'd never had rhubarb before and this was the perfect dish to try it in for the first time! It's a big hit with my son and husband as well.
Jul 20, 2014
It's in the oven... Smells delicious. I did make a few changes as I had 7 cups of rhubarb. Added 3 T. cornstarch; 1 1/2 cup water; 1 1/2 cup sugar; 2 pkg. gelatin; 1 1/2 t. vanilla. 1 quart of quartered fresh strawberries. I also sprinkled the gelatin over the fruit- then poured the cooked cornstarch, sugar and water on top. Then added the oatmeal topping. This recipe gave me such a good base. I just improvised because of the extra rhubarb I didn't want to waste and the added strawberries... Hope I can report a delicious outcome! Fours stars for now... Maybe five when we have it for dinner tonight.
Jul 19, 2013
This is a wonderful recipe to use up excess rhubarb! It has just the right amount of sweetness and tartness with the crunchy topping. Recipe can be cut in half, and it still turns out great!
Apr 5, 2012
This is a delicious dessert,excellect for a pot luck
May 20, 2009
Everyone loves this at the potluck! Adults and kids alike!
Aug 16, 2008
This is just the best rhubarb receipe I've ever had. My daughter-in-law says she wants this instead of a birthday cake!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.