VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- In a saucepan, heat pie filling on low. Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, beat egg whites on medium speed until foamy. Add cream of tartar; beat until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form.
- Remove pie filling from the heat; stir in extract. Pour into pastry shell. Spread meringue over hot filling, sealing edges to crust. Sprinkle with walnuts. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until meringue is golden. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Chill for at least 3 hours before serving. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Cherry Meringue Pie in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2002, p28
Reviews forCherry Meringue Pie
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review