- 4 cups pitted canned or frozen tart red cherries
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- Pinch salt
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon red food coloring, optional
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- Drain cherries, reserving 2/3 cup juice in a saucepan; discard remaining juice. To the juice, all cherries, sugar, butter and salt. In a small bowl, dissolve cornstarch in water; stir into cherry mixture. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook and stir 1 minute more. Remove from the heat; stir into the extract and food coloring if desired. Cool. Place bottom pastry in a 9-in. pie plate. Add filling. Top with a lattice crust. Bake at 375° for 45-50 minutes or until crust is golden and filling is bubbly. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews forCherry Almond Pie
"This is a very good recipe. I like the addition of the almond extract, which is a nice complement to the cherries. It tastes delicious served with vanilla ice cream."
"Great recipe for traditional cherry pie"
"This is the exact recipe my Mom always made and also the first pie I made when I got married 51 years ago, its been in our family a very long time~never fails to make for "Happy""
"This came out in the 1996 Collector's Edition and I've used it ever since. It's the best cherry pie recipe!!"