Chard & White Bean Pasta
I love to prepare gluten-free and dairy-free dishes, and this recipe meets the criteria when you use gluten-free pasta. This dish shows you can use delicious, healthy products to create a crowd-pleasing meal. It's also soy-free, nut-free and vegetarian. —Amie Valpone, New York, New York
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1 package (12 ounces) uncooked whole wheat or brown rice penne pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups sliced leeks (white portion only)
- 1 cup sliced sweet onion
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh sage or 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 medium bunch Swiss chard (about 1 pound), cut into 1-inch slices
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 cups marinara sauce, warmed
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain, reserving 3/4 cup pasta water.
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat oil over medium heat; saute leeks and onion until tender, 5-7 minutes. Add garlic and sage; cook and stir 2 minutes.
- Add potato and chard; cook, covered, over medium-low heat 5 minutes. Stir in beans, seasonings and reserved pasta water; cook, covered, until potato and chard are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add pasta, basil and vinegar; toss and heat through. Serve with sauce.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups pasta mixture with 1/2 cup sauce: 369 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 801mg sodium, 67g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 13g fiber), 14g protein.
Originally published as Sweet Potato, Chard and White Bean Pasta in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.