Chard & White Bean Pasta
I love to prepare gluten-free and dairy-free dishes, and this recipe meets the criteria when you use gluten-free pasta. This dish shows you can use delicious, healthy products to create a crowd-pleasing meal. It's also soy-free, nut-free and vegetarian. —Amie Valpone, New York, New York
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1 package (12 ounces) uncooked whole wheat or brown rice penne pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups sliced leeks (white portion only)
- 1 cup sliced sweet onion
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh sage or 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 medium bunch Swiss chard (about 1 pound), cut into 1-inch slices
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 cups marinara sauce, warmed
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain, reserving 3/4 cup pasta water.
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat oil over medium heat; saute leeks and onion until tender, 5-7 minutes. Add garlic and sage; cook and stir 2 minutes.
- Add potato and chard; cook, covered, over medium-low heat 5 minutes. Stir in beans, seasonings and reserved pasta water; cook, covered, until potato and chard are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add pasta, basil and vinegar; toss and heat through. Serve with sauce.