Butternut and Chard Pasta Bake
This recipe is made for butternut squash lovers, with pureed squash in the sauce and squash pieces in the casserole alongside an ideal companion, Swiss chard. This is a very veggie hybrid of ever-popular holiday sides. —Arlene Erlbach, Morton Grove, Illinois
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 3 cups uncooked bow tie pasta
- 2 cups fat-free ricotta cheese
- 4 large eggs
- 3 cups frozen cubed butternut squash, thawed and divided
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup coarsely chopped shallots
- 1-1/2 cups chopped Swiss chard, stems removed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-1/2 cups panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 375°. Cook pasta according to package directions for al dente; drain. Meanwhile, place the ricotta, eggs, 1-1/2 cups squash, thyme, 1/4 teaspoon salt and nutmeg in a food processor; process until smooth. Pour into a large bowl. Stir in pasta, Swiss chard, shallots and remaining squash. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add bread crumbs; cook and stir until golden brown, about 2-3. Stir in parsley, garlic powder and remaining salt. Sprinkle over pasta mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, until set and topping is golden brown, about 30-35 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 223 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 83mg cholesterol, 209mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 9g protein.
Originally published as Creamy Double Butternut, Bowties and Chard Bake in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2019
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.