- 1 medium head cauliflower, broken into florets
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons chicken or 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, optional
- In a Dutch oven, combine the cauliflower, carrot, celery, water and bouillon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender (do not drain).
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Stir in the cheese until melted. Add hot pepper sauce if desired. Stir into the cauliflower mixture. Yield: 8 servings (about 2 quarts).
Reviews forCauliflower Soup
"I made this with almond milk"
"senstrings: Read Test Kitchen Tips below directions. It gives you gluten free suggestions."
"I am just questioning how this soup can be considered gluten free when it uses all-pupose flour (it comes up in the results when I search for GF) ?"
"I made this and really enjoyed it. I had to sub out a few things though. If you are unlucky like me and did not have any type of broth on hand, you can use a couple cups of water with a couple tbsp of melted butter added to mimic the fats in broth. Then, i added a few seasonings to the mixture to taste : cardamom, turmeric, nutmeg, white pepper and a dash of salt. I also begun with some chopped onion and 2 cloves of garlic (just preference) . I also did not have carrots, but used frozen butternut squash in its place. Next time if i have more time, I will roast my vegetables."
"I was a bit disappointed because of the outstanding reviews. The ingredients weren’t anything special and that is what I got. My changes were that I precooked the cauliflower by roasting it before adding it to the broth after the other vegetables were cooked. I also used the Smokey hot sauce for more flavor. I will be “doctoring” the leftovers as I serve it."
"Very quick and simple to make. Delicious!"