Every other cauliflower soup recipe I tried lacked flavor, but this cheesy recipe packs a tasty punch! We like it with hot pepper sauce for a little extra kick. —Debbie Ohlhausen, Chilliwack, British Columbia
- 1 medium head cauliflower, broken into florets
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon or 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, optional
- 1. In a Dutch oven, combine the cauliflower, carrot, celery, water and bouillon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender (do not drain).
- 2. In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Stir in the cheese until melted, adding hot pepper sauce if desired. Stir into the cauliflower mixture.
1 cup: 159 calories, 11g fat (7g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 617mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Feb 16, 2020As I was making the soup, I was wondering why there was no garlic or onion? Looking at the spices, I only see salt and pepper. I just knew this soup was going to be bland, and I don't want to make something, and it not be great! I melted the butter and added garlic and onion. I also added crumbled bacon and cubed ham. I used red pepper flakes instead of the hot sauce. I also thicken the soup more, to get a more like a chowder consistensy. I chopped in some fresh parsley just before serving. After my changes, I loved it
Feb 9, 2020This is such a great recipe! 1. Because it's mostly ingredients I keep in-stock, 2. It's easy, 3. It's delicious! This one is worth saving and sharing.
Feb 5, 2020Absolutely love this soup! I substituted one small can of mild green chilies for the hot pepper sauce and it was delicious.
Jan 28, 2020I love this soup but how are you getting 2 quarts out of 4 1/2 cups of liquid?
Jan 27, 2020Mom and kid approved! Recipe was so easy and ingredients won't break the bank. The only tweeks I made were to omit the hot sauce and add 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes. At the end I used an immersion blender to make it more soup-y. Daughter told me I should make it every night! And at only 159 calories per serving, this recipe is a winner!
Jan 26, 2020Susan, Don't add the 3/4 tsp. of salt and use low-sodium chicken broth. If you are used to no salt, this shouldn't be a problem for you. Sometimes lemon or a splash of vinegar will help. Use sharp cheddar instead of mild cheese for a bit more tang.
Jan 21, 2020How could I make this less sodium content, seems quit high. I would use mrs dash and no salt bouillon any other suggestions, I still want to keep the flavour. I also wouldn’t use hot sauce
Jan 19, 2020I want this soup everyday!
Jan 19, 2020We had a snowstorm in Michigan today. This comfort food really hit the spot and has great flavor. My husband and son didn't know they were eating cauliflower! I will definitely be making this again. Thank you.
Jan 18, 2020I made this and it’s a hit. Add a loaf of semolina bread and it’s an awesome meal!!
© 2020 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC